North East Derbyshire District Council are currently consulting on the latest draft of their local plan - the document which proposes how our area will change and develop over the next 15 years.
I have strongly opposed the Council's local plan proposals since I was elected, particularly around their proposed house building approach which would see large numbers of new houses on greenbelt and greenfield around the area. The numbers of houses they want to build are highly debatable, the assumptions they use speculative and the locations they have chosen are, in my view wrong. I will be writing to North East Derbyshire District Council with my concerns and will publish my response to them on this website in the coming weeks.
The Council are proposing to allow building in the following places between now and 2034:
- Clay Cross: 980 new homes (825 Biwaters site, 120 land at Stretton Road, 25 land north of Clay Lane, 10 land at Broadleys)
- Dronfield: 475 new homes (235 land off Shakespeare Crescent & Sheffield Road, 200 land north of Eckington Road, Coal Aston, 40 land at Stubley Lane, Stubley Hollow)
- Eckington: 518 new homes (400 south of Birk Hill estate, 90 land at Staveley Lane, 28 Bradley Lomas Electrolok site, Church Street)
- Killamarsh: 471 new homes (330 land at Westthorpe, 70 land off Rotherham Road, 30 land off Primrose Lane, 14 land at 28 Ashley Lane, 14 The Old Station, Station Road, 13 land off Boiley Lane)
- Grassmoor: 127 new homes (127 land at Windwhistle Farm)
- North Wingfield: 72 new homes (22 land at Croft House, 50 land at Holborn House, Chesterfield Road)
- Tupton & Old Tupton: 329 new homes (215 land at Ankerbold Road, 68 land to the rear of 10 - 52 Ashover Road, Old Tupton, 46 land south of Sunningdale Park)
- Wingerworth: 1181 new homes (716 The Avenue strategic site, 250 land at Hanging Banks, 215 land south of Mill Lane)
More detail can be found in the draft local plan published on the Council's website here: go to www.ne-derbyshire.gov.uk/index.php/resident/local-plan, click on "Local Plan 2014 - 2034 (Publication Draft)" and then click on "Publication Draft Plan". Go to chapter 5 (page 65 onwards).
Consultation on the local plan is open until 5pm on Wednesday 4th April 2018. More details can be found here: www.ne-derbyshire.gov.uk/index.php/resident/local-plan. You can respond via the Council's online form, by writing a letter to them or by emailing in. Whatever your view, please do get involved - we need as many people from the community giving their views as possible!
After this consultation closes, the local plan will then be assessed by the independent Planning Inspectorate at a hearing later in the year. You will only be able to get involved in subsequent stages like this assessment if you register your interest through the current consultation - so please do ensure you take part.
I will also be holding a number of meetings around the District to talk through the plan in more details - details to be published soon!